Thursday 15 August 2013

Hadley Freeman at Blackwells

I was always sort-of aware that Blackwell's did events, as well as selling me books, but only in a back-of-my-mind not-something-that-actually-happens-in-my-real-world sort of way. And then, on Twitter (font of all knowledge) one day, they went and asked one of my favourite journalists, Hadley Freeman, to come discuss her new book there.

I may have gotten a bit overexcited. I think I may have sent something terribly embarrassing like "Do it do it do it! OMG!" to them both. I shouldn't be let near anyone famous: even when I rehearse my lines really carefully, I always end up saying something faintly stupid. Anyway, they did it, thank god. And to make me feel a bit better, the lovely folk at Blackwell's even gave me a ticket.

The talk was an interview set-up, which worked very well, and congratulations are due to Lizzie Porter for her excellent work in steering the discussion. Hadley spoke a little about her book, Be Awesome, and Lizzie did a great job in guiding her through some of the books key themes, enlarging on some of the more amusing or touching stories, without spoiling it for those of use who were yet to read it. Some of the best bits came in the audience Q&A at the end - my favourite was the question "what do you say to guys who catcall you in the street?" when everyone present dived in with their own suggestions!

You can see the upcoming events at Blackwell's on their blog, broadconversation.com, as well as other store and book news, or check events on the main Blackwell's website.

No comments:

Post a Comment